The surgical removal of the woman’s uterus is known as hysterectomy. The uterus is the female organ which is located in the pelvis. This is responsible for the menstrual cycle and is a pouch to carry the fetus until it’s born. In this article, you will get to know about the Indian diet after hysterectomy surgery.
What are the reasons for hysterectomy?
- Uterine fibroid: That caused pain, bleeding or other problems
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Chronic pelvic pain
Problems that you might experience after hysterectomy
- Gut problems which are related to altered microbes
- Excessive gas and bloating
These symptoms are maybe because of surgery and lack of estrogen.
What is the importance of a diet plan after hysterectomy surgery?
A surgical procedure such as hysterectomy might have long term effects on the physical health of a female. It also contributes to weight gain post-surgery. Consuming the right foods can also prevent complications. The right diet will relieve constipation and provides protein that your skin needs.
How to lose weight after hysterectomy?
Here are a few dietary recommendations on how to lose weight after hysterectomy:
- A side effect of hysterectomy is irritable bowel syndrome. Hence, consuming foods that have a high amount of fiber will ease the symptoms.
- You can include fruits and vegetables in your diet as they are rich in fiber.
- The doctors recommend 5-6 servings of colorful vegetables and fruits.
- Examples of high fiber vegetables are broccoli, green leafy, kale, eggplant, etc.
- You can include fruits such as oranges, avocados, berries, papaya, apple, melon, etc.
- Oats, whole grains, quinoa, millets are high in fiber. You can also include fiber fortified flours.
Antioxidants are important:
- You should choose red fruits like red peppers and strawberries.
- Purple cabbage and grapes.
- Yellow foods like lemon and ginger
- These antioxidants help to reduce stress and body fats, which leads to maintenance of weight.
Intake plenty of fluids:
- Increasing your fiber intake can also lead to bloating, that’s why you should drink at least 2-2.5 liters of water.
- Thin buttermilk, dal water, infused water are all included in the fluids.
Choose healthy fat and protein:
- After your surgery, our body requires the rebuilding of lost proteins.
- You can select pulses, low-fat milk, dal, fish and poultry.
- A diet high in protein after a hysterectomy surgery will help you to reduce weight.
- Consume 2-3 servings of milk and products daily
Eat healthy fat:
- You should not completely skip the fat content in your diet
- Omega 3 rich olive oil, nuts, seeds like flax are good sources of healthy fat. You can consume 20 gms daily.
Indian diet plan after hysterectomy surgery
|Empty Stomach||1 teaspoon of soaked methi seeds with 1 warm cup of water|
|Breakfast||1 bowl oats with milk and 5-6 walnuts|
|Mid-Morning||1 cup of boiled moong or cooked sprouts or 2 egg whites or 1 glass of soy milk|
|Lunch||1.5 cup salad with 1 cup of quinoa, mix dal 1 cup, 1 cup of vegetable or 1 glass buttermilk or 2 pieces of chicken or 1 piece of fish|
|Evening||1 cup of green tea with 3 biscuit or 100 gms of fresh paneer with pomegranate|
|Mid-Evening||1 cup of vegetable soup|
|Dinner||1 cup salad with 2 chapatis or 1 bajra roti with 1 cup of vegetables, 1 cup of dal, 1 cup of curd|
A balanced diet is a perfect answer to all health problems. Once you know how to balance your calories or to prevent any nutrient deficiencies, weight loss has become easy after hysterectomy. So, the right amount and type of exercise aids in weight loss. You can follow this Indian diet after hysterectomy surgery.
author name: Dr. Pavitra Dosaj
author bio: Specialist in Laser and Laparoscopic surgeries