Post Exposure Prophylaxis is basically a vaccine against HIV infection. As the world is facing a great threat towards HIV infection it is very essential to introduce a vaccine of this type. It can really save many lives. But to be very specific you must also be cautious about yourself. A single step can bring big disaster in your life.
The role of clinics in treating this disease:
Now let’s have a look at the different role of HIV PEP Clinic in treating this deadly disease. There are number of renowned clinics who deal with this type of diseases.
- Firstly it can be said that Post-exposure prophylaxis, or PEP, is another name for emergency HIV treatment. PEP can never cure HIV; rather it is a form of HIV prevention. It is basically a short course of antiretroviral drugs that mainly stops exposure to HIV from becoming a life-long infection.
- Generally a blood test is conducted in order to establish a baseline. However if it has been done recently then there is no need to conduct the test again. A rapid HIV infection test is done in order to see that whether you have an established HIV infection.
- It has been estimated globally that there were an estimated 35 million people living with HIV infection out of which only13 million were on antiretroviral treatment (ART) at the end of 2013.
- People can be accidentally exposed to HIV though healthcare work or due to exposures outside healthcare setting, for example, through unprotected sex or sexual assault.
- It is a known fact that Antiretroviral or (ARVs) have been used to prevent infection in case of accidental exposures for many years. This injection is termed as post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) and involves taking a 28-day course.
- PEP should be applied as early as possible, for all individuals with an exposure that has the potential for HIV transmission, and ideally within 72 hours.
- If PEP is started soon after exposure, then it can reduce the risk of HIV infection by over 80%. A full 28-day course of ARVs is critical to the effectiveness of the intervention.
- The recent survey clearly depicts that PEP uptake has been absolutely insufficient: about 57% of total people who initiated PEP have completed the full course and rates were even lower at 40% for victims of sexual assault.
- In case of people who are accidentally exposed to HIV, PEP provides a single opportunity to prevent HIV after exposure. This type of incidents may take place among health care workers who had needle stick injuries or among adults and children who survived sexual violence.
Some more information’s about the awareness of the disease:
HIV develops when people do not adhere to a prescribed treatment plan, only because they do not have consistent access to quality HIV treatment and care. HIV drug may often lead to more infections and deaths, and undermine global progress in treating and preventing HIV infection if early and effective action is not taken. It has been noticed that as a side effect of PEP an extremely healthy person can witness some side effects. They may experience lethargy, diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches etc. Some of these side effects can be treated with proper medication but it is absolutely essential to continue with the medicine for 28 days. It is very much essential. Post-exposure prophylaxis, or PEP, is the path for a person who may have recently an experience to HIV to prevent HIV infection. It includes taking anti-HIV medications right after a potential exposure to HIV. Anyone who thinks they may have been exposed to HIV should contact their doctor immediately. PEP is not 100% effective. For getting other information’s one may also visit the site http://hivsingapore.com
- PEP does not have any immediate effect. It is a pill that can prevent pregnancy; it requires taking pills several times every day for an entire month.
- The medications are very expensive, can cause side effects—such as nausea, fatigue and diarrhoea—and can be difficult to access.
- There is no assurance that PEP will prevent HIV infection.
- PEP provides no protection against other sexually transmitted infections.
Furthermore it must be said in this connection that regular visit to the clinics and taking the vaccine is very much essential in this case. A single mistake can really bring great disaster to life.